UPDATE: The 2022 Mahi Pono Scholarship Application window is now closed. Mahi Pono congratulates Nakoa Benjamin and Moani Tiare Atay on being selected as its 2022 Scholarship recipients. (read article)
At Mahi Pono, we value and support educational opportunities that help to create long-term career paths and job opportunities in Agriculture for Maui County residents. Our scholarship program helps to perpetuate this value by providing financial support to graduating seniors in Maui County who are seeking to pursue further education towards a career in an Agriculture-related field. Awarded funds will be paid directly to the institution or program of the winning applicant(s).
Ag-related areas of study might include: food science, natural resources, plant science, animal science, environmental science, agricultural business, agricultural mechanics, etc. Careers in agriculture might include: Agricultural Economist, Agricultural Engineer, Agronomist, Animal Nutritionist, Animal Physiologist, Aquaculturist, Biochemist, Biometrician, Biosystems Engineer, Botanist (Plant Biologist), Climatologist, Ecologist, Entomologist, Environmental Scientist, Fisheries Scientist, Florist, Food Process Engineer, Food Scientist, Forester, Geneticist, Horticulturist, Hydrologist, Logging Engineer, Marine Scientist, Molecular Biologist, Naturalist, Nutritionist/Dietician, Plant Pathologist, Plant Physiologist, Range Manager, Remote Sensing Specialist, Science Writer, Soil Scientist, Toxicologist, Turf Scientist, Veterinarian, Viticulturist, Weed Scientist, Wildlife Biologist.
For 2022, Mahi Pono will be awarding two scholarships in the amount of $3,000 each
- Applicants must be a resident of Maui County and a graduating high school senior in the year of the award.
- Applicants must have at least a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale (or a “B” average)
- Applicants must be planning to continue their education with a focus in a field of study related to agriculture. Continuing education may include enrollment in a University, College, Technical School, or Certificate Program.
- Applicants must complete and submit the scholarship application by the stated deadline.
- Cumulative high school grade point average
- Co-curricular activities, Community Service, Awards, Honors, and/or Employment
- Essay addressing the essay prompt in 250 words or less
- Letter of recommendation
How to Apply
- Visit the Mahi Pono website to apply online (www.mahipono.com/scholarships). You may save and continue your application throughout the process. Be prepared to upload the required supplemental documents with your online application submission.
- Alternatively, a paper application may be submitted by mail along with the required supplemental documents. Mail to: Mahi Pono, PO Box 1104, Puunene, Hawaii 96784. (Click Here to DOWNLOAD PDF APPLICATION)
- Along with your application, the following supplemental documents are required:
- A copy of high school transcript
- A copy of resume or document listing all Co-curricular Activities, Community Service, Awards, Honors, and/or Employment throughout applicants’ high school years.
- Essay responding to the application essay prompt in 250 words or less.
- One letter of recommendation (must include recommender’s contact information)
The completed application packet including all required documents must be postmarked or submitted online by 11:59pm on Wednesday, June 1, 2022. If you have any questions regarding your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org.